The UCC is pleased to announce that the St. Onuphrius Church will remain a Ukrainian attraction in Ottawa.
St. Onuphrius Church is the largest artifact in the Museum of Civilization’s collection. The modest chapel, built by Ukrainian Catholic pioneers in 1907 will continue to serve as an important milestone of Ukrainian development highlighting the major role that Ukrainians played in developing Canada.
The Canadian Government will be overhauling and redesigning the current home of the St. Onuphrius Church – the Canadian Museum of Civilization, and rebrand the museum as the Canadian Museum of History. Minster of Canadian Heritage, the Honourable James Moore announced that that the rebranding of the museum was in anticipation of plans to celebrate the 150th anniversary of confederation in 2017.
“Our intent is certainly to continue featuring the church in the new History Museum,” stated Museum of Civilization President and CEO Mark O’Neill.
While it is still not clear what the focus of the new Canadian Museum of History will be, it is clear that the St. Onuphrius Church will be a part of it.